Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Ruben Salad & Mamma Leone's Chicken Soup

A couple of weeks ago I had thrown out the idea of making a salad with the main ingredients in a Ruben sandwich. Well this morning as I was digging around in the frig, I spotted the chuck of brisket I bought with the intent to make the salad and never got around to. Well, thankfully this was a piece of meat that was vacuum sealed, so it was still perfectly good to use, so before running off to the office, I tossed the brisket into the crock-pot with some water and the little seasoning packet, I came home to a wonderfully tender cut of meat that just needed to be sliced and shredded. So while it cooled off a bit, I quick chopped up some of my lettuce from my market trip, a half a bell pepper and cucumbers that was left over from something else, cubed up some Swiss cheese and plated it all together with some rich 1000 Island dress to finish it off.Its been some time since I've had a good batch of corned beef and needless to say, I could hard wait to get it plated, I was doing some serious picking at the warm meat as I worked. I would say it hit the spot tonight  and was everything I was hoping it would be!          


As for last night, I had a doctors appointment in the afternoon that granted me the luxury of being home early enough to have time to dive in and make a amazing pot of Mamma Leone's soup made from this week's recipes. As usual I did make a couple of alterations, I didn't have a can of diced tomatoes on hand, but I did have five tomatoes in my basket that we just about beyond use, so I quick dropped them in boiling water to remove the skins, chopped them and added to the pot with a small can of tomato past to round out the flavor. Then rather than buying spinach, I knew I still had half a head of kale in the frig that with the stems removed, chopped up and tossed in at the end would work just fine. My husband and I both had not trouble have seconds helping of that one!

So don't just sit here at the computer, put on your apron and have some fun with your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment