Sunday, September 8, 2013

Weekly Recipes for September 9th - 15th

Well last week proved to just be the start of a busy season, making it all the more important that I am diligent in having meals planned and groceries on hand this week. With scheduled meetings both Monday and Tuesday nights I know that I'll need my meals to be quick and easy. On top of tight time constraints, the weather has turned warm again so I also want to avoid heating up the kitchen as well, so for this week I'm planning on cold meals with little prep.

Meal #1
Hummus with raw vegetables

Hummus
3 cans chickpea or other beans
3 cloves garlic - peeled
1/4 cup tahini (sesame butter)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Drain the chickpeas and put in a food processor with all the other ingredients, pulse til they become a soft paste. Empty in a flat dish and decorate with some parsley and drizzle with olive oil.

I have picked up red and yellow bell peppers I will slice, an English cucumber, baby carrots and cherry tomatoes to dip into the hummus as well as some naan to warm up to go with it. This we be a vegetarian dinner that will come together pretty quickly and will be easy to take on the go if it comes to that.


Menu #2
Sweet Potato Tuna Melt
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Harley-Pasternak-Sweet-Potato-Tuna-Melt

I saw this one on the Chew as an alternative to a tuna melt on bread. This takes the typical elements of a tuna melt and puts it on a half of a baked sweet potato. I will be making my husbands on half a hoggy roll, but I will be giving this try on the sweet potato.


Menu #3
Ruben Salad

I came up with this idea while looking through cookbooks today and spotted Thousand Island dressing which made my mouth water for the richness of a good ruben sandwich, but without some of the guilt.  

Chopped Butter lettuce
Corned beef or pastrami lunch meat (laid out in a stack and rolled, slice thin slices off the end creating slivers of meat to toss in the salad.
Pickled onions to give that vinegary touch (you can always use sauerkraut)
Swiss cheese - cubed
Thousand Island dressing

Toss all ingredients in a large salad bowl with small amounts of the dressing until everything is evenly coated. Serve with buttered bread if you are eating starches/gluten.


So there it is, my week on paper. Lots to do this week, but my food is under control. Hope you have a blessed week and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment