Thursday, February 25, 2016

Flourless Tortillas - with an unlikely ingredient

As I'm pushing along through the low carb, weight loss, lifestyle change process, I continually look for positive food choices that will fit into my busy schedule, and will taste good enough to be served to my husband and family and not have them digging in the frig 20 minutes after the meal. This process requires extensive amounts of time scanning of numerous websites for alternative options to what we have coined "The American Diet". 

I grew up with and continued into my adult life, eating cereal and toast or waffles and syrup for breakfast,  a sandwich with bread and tuna or a burger on a bun with chips on the side for lunch. Then for dinner we would top the day off with a large chunk of meat with a side of potatoes, rice or pasta, a slice of bread or a roll and if you are lucky we might throw in a salad or steamed vegetable to round out the meal. Mixed in there will be cans of soda and cookies from the office vending machine and a dish of ice cream before we crawl our carb bloated body off to bed.

On top of the American fare that we lived on, we've always enjoyed a mix of ethnic foods, Indian, Greek, Chinese, Thai and Mexican, which I'm sure are called the American versions of these food too, but we enjoyed them just the same.

The challenge of making the switch to a low carb diet has not come easily. I find myself wanting to revert back to the old familiar, so finding alternatives that make eating feel more normal helps me stay on track. Doing little things like making zucchini noodles and serving them up with a good marinara sauce and ground beef feels like family meals growing up. Food items like these have proven to be a nice additions to the changes I have already made for my family; and the flourless tortilla fit right in. 

My oldest son had mentioned that he and his wife had made these tortillas, but when I heard about what was in them, I was reluctant to try them. After coming across them again on a website I decided it was worth giving them a chance. To my surprise, that turned out to be better than some of the other tortillas I've tried and they were also allot sturdier for stuffing with things.

Almost Zero Carb Wraps Tortillas (use this link to get the the recipe) have an unusual ingredient, which is pork rinds.  I've never cared for pork rinds on their own, but in this application, they add a smoky flavor to the tortillas and it's worth getting past the weirdness of the pork rinds, and they were super easy to make.

I shared the tortillas with my group and they thought they were good and could see them used as pancakes with cinnamon and sugar free syrup. I took the balance of the batch and tossed them in a ziplock and put them in the frig. The next morning I took them with me to work and stuffed in full of scrambled eggs, sausage, pico, cheese and sour cream and they were wonderful.


My breakfast tacos

So this unlikely ingredient works in this recipe and I will be making this a regular. They make a fare sandwich in place of bread, they are a perfect soft taco shell and I will be working to find other uses for the this new addition to my recipe list.

4 comments:

  1. I had already seen and pinned this recipe and wondered if it was good. I'll definitely try it now! If you're on Pinterest, my boards are under baysingerbunch and one of the boards is "Low Carb Winners". I have personally tried those recipes and liked them enough to make them again (though I occasionally will make notes about alterations). Check it out if you think it would be helpful. I've been eating low carb for over a year and love it! I'm eating better than I've ever eaten and have lost 105 lbs! Woot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Carrie! I've seen the difference in you facebook pictures. I'm looking to lose 60 total myself, but seem to have hit a wall at the moment, so I'm adding the exercise to see if I can get things moving again. I will check out your Pinterest page as well. I love pinterest too, Coral Hulse Zmuda, and I have a page called Positive Choices and My Healthy Life where I dump all my possibilities. I will be keeping my eye on you for motivations!

      Delete