Sunday, September 15, 2013

Weekly Recipes for Sept 16th - 22nd

Well I've been busy this weekend, and I still need to get my shopping done, which means I better get busy with my menus for the week. The weather around here is about to send my body into a tailspin, last week was 80, 90 and even one 100 degree day, and today our church picnic was chased inside by rain, thunder and lightening. So with the weather swinging back to colder dampness, I'm ready to crawl back to hearty warm meals that will stick to the ribs. 

A couple of weeks ago I ventured into a local deli here in Portland for a large bowl of Mama Leone's Chicken Soup. I posted on Facebook what I was eating and was greatly surprised to have a friend let me know that she had come across the recipe for this wonderful soup, and this week I'm going to share it with you.

Some of you may have seen that I had ventured to the farmers market yesterday and I will be including some of that yummy freshness to brighten up the heavy items I'm craving too. The afternoon is getting away from me and I need to crawl out from under this blanket I have snuggled under and get myself to the grocery store and get ready for the week. So here we go!

Menu #1
Mama Leone's Chicken Soup

from Elephant's Deli
makes about 15 cups

1/2 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast or Tenders (I'm using thighs, better flavor)
2 teaspoons kosher salt plus extra for chicken breasts (divided)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper plus extra for chicken breast (divided)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
8 cups low sodium chicken broth 
1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
3/4 cup whipping cream 
2 cups thinly sliced fresh spinach

Sprinkle salt and pepper on both side of the chicken breast and lightly sauté. When cool enough to handle, dice the meat and set aside until needed.

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter and melt. Saute the onions and celery until the onions are translucent, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, tarragon, oregano, paprika and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 or 4 minutes Add the flour and stir until well combined. Slowly whisk the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes and cream. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the reserved chicken breast and simmer 10 minutes more. Just before serving, stir in the spinach.

This soup is great with cornbread or crusty french bread, or just on its own.


Menu #2
Sausages with Cabbage and Onions, with fresh heirloom tomato & lemon cucumber salad

Cabbage and Onions
1 sm head of cabbage
1 large yellow onion
3-4 tablespoons bacon grease or oil of choice
Salt & pepper

Cut the head of cabbage into quarters and remove the core from each section. Slice cabbage into thin ribbons and set aside, peal onion, cut in half and also slice in thin half rounds and break the layers apart.  Heat bacon grease in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and onions, tossing to coat.  Add salt and pepper to taste. The pan will be over flowing with vegetables but as it cooks down, it will be easier to continue to toss as it cooks. Sauté for about 10 minutes.

At this point your cabbage should start releasing some of its water.  If it doesn't, and your pan is mostly dry, drizzle with a little extra oil and toss to coat.  Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking cabbage, stirring occasionally, for approximately 30 minutes, until it turns translucent and soft and starting to brown just a little.

Tomato & Cucumber Salad
While the cabbage is doing it's thing and I'm cooking off my favorite sausage links, I will chop up the heirloom tomatoes and the lemon cucumber I bought at the market, and toss them with some store bought Italian dressing and feta cheese.

Menu #3 
Meatless Cheat Night
We were wandering around Costco and found a sample table of roasted red pepper ravioli that was very yummy (yes it has wheat in it, but I'm going to indulge a little). So I broke down and bought the two pack they were offering and one pack went in the frig and one in the freezer for a different night. I figure I will pull together a Alfredo sauce to cover the ravioli, and use some of my market greens for a salad, with some bell peppers and radishes I have in the frig already. Time to head for the grocery store for the missing ingredients and I'm off and running for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment