Sunday, March 6, 2016

Snack Time - Cauliflower Tots



Sometimes it amazes how fast the days can slip past me when I realize I haven't been here with you for a while. I've been putting in some long hours at the office, doing prep work for a community egg hunt later this month and trying to get in my steps and flights of stairs as well as few visits to the gym. 

I can get so busy at times like these; which I have to be even more diligent about eating things that don't send me into rampage of poor eating. So when I'm itching for something that looks like snack food this recipe will fits the bill.

Before I get into the recipe I want to give you this little tip first. I've shared several recipes that used riced cauliflower, which this is another one. As I've been digging I came across this solution to needing to prep the cauliflower every time you want a riced cauliflower based dish. The trick to this is ricing in larger batches and then storing it in the frig for the week. For me, I run it through my food processor which works fine, but if you don't have one available to you, but you have a blender on hand, this video is an alternative way to prepare your cauliflower for the week.


So with your cauliflower riced and stored in the frig, you are ready to whip up a batch of fried rice, cheesy bread sticks or this fun recipe of Cauliflower Tots. 


Cauliflower Tots
4 c. Cauliflower - riced, 1/2 of a apx 2lb head
1/3 c. Parmesan Cheese (the stuff in the green container works fine)
1/3 c. Sharp Cheddar Cheese - grated
3 Tbsp. Almond meal
1/2 tsp. No salt seasoning (I use Costco's house blend)
1 Egg
Salt & Pepper to taste (remember that the cheese is salty)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Grease 24 count mini muffin cups (I use silicone so no greasing is required)
Steam the cauliflower, I use a large saute pan with a lid on low heat, but you can microwave in a covered dish as well until lightly softened. Drain off any excess water that sweats out of the cauliflower.
Toss cauliflower with remain ingredients until well blended. Using a teaspoon (a cookie scoop works great) dividing the mix among the muffin cups. 
Bake for 15 minutes, pull out and carefully turn each tot and return them to the oven for an additional 15 minutes. 

Serve up your tots with your favorite dipping sauce, marinara, ranch or just pop them in your mouth plain. I guarantee you will be addicted to them in no time and you won't want to share. 





2 comments: