Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Steak Bites & Kale Salad

This morning I went out to get food for the dogs and as I walked past our freezer, I figured I better get out some meat for dinner, or I would be left scrounging around for something to eat after a long day at work.  I found a package of sirloin steaks which are not my favorites, but they were the first package I grabbed. 

Steak Bites
With my protein selected, now the question is what to do with it. One of my favorite Happy Hour goodies at our restaurant is steak bites. So with that in mind, I took my steaks and cubed them into cubes approximately 1 to 1.5 inches. Tossed them with salt & pepper and caramelized them in a hot oiled cast iron fry pan, turning to brown on all sides. Depending on how much you are cooking off, you may need to cook several batches in order to cook them quick enough and over cook the meat. At work they serve the bites with a horseradish sauce which I was really in the mood for, but my quickie stop at the grocery store found that all bottled, shelf safe horseradish sauce had either high fructose corn syrup or sugar and an assortment of unknown items in them, nor did that store have any fresh horseradish to allow me to make my own. So I settle on a roasted garlic aioli that I already had in the frig.

Kale Salad
As a side to go with our steak, I knew it was time for some hearty greens, so I put to use the kale, yellow bell pepper, green onions and radishes I had on hand and came up with a yummy salad. After removing the stems from the kale, I tossed the kale into the food processor with the chopping blade and pulsed until it was finely chopped (this took several batches to get all of it prepared). I thin sliced a full bunch of green onions, diced a bell pepper, and tossed the washed and trimmed radishes in to the food processor and finely chopped as well. In a large bowl I tossed all vegetables together with what is now becoming my favorite dressing and we were ready to eat (now that dinner is over, toasted sunflower seeds or other nuts would have been good in this salad too.)

Dressing for salad is thanks to Maria: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/super-salad-dressing-and-mct-oils/  


No comments:

Post a Comment