Thursday, February 11, 2016

Time Out

When I think about "time out", I see a child that needs a few minutes to reflect on a undesirable behavior.

Well sometimes we are the ones in need of a time out. Every so often we need to just regroup when we are overwhelmed with work, home and side commitments. If we have allowed our good eating habits to head off on a tangent of poor food choices, we need to step back and take a time out. To have a chance to clear our heads and  be able to start fresh.

For the past year I've had this little slip of paper hanging on the bulletin board at work. It's been a source of encouragement for many things, and many people who come to spend time with me in a small space I occupy during my work week. It's only been recently that it has become more relevant in the day to day challenges of managing a new lifestyle.






When you have that moment, when you realized you have fallen, or at lease started down the wrong path, take that time out and make the most of it. Focus on where things began to go wrong and think about the changes you need to get back on track. 

Do you need to go back and clean out trigger foods that have crept back into your cupboards, or do you need to focus on planned shopping trips to stock up on good food choices? Are you struggling with a stressful situation that has you running back to your comfort foods? How can you face those difficult times and not loose control? 

Taking a time out can also be a reward for hanging in there through the struggles, or an opportunity to just enjoy some peace. With our little accountability group I sometimes struggle with what to share, who will come, am I doing the right thing, am I setting the example for other members of our group? The fact that I took on this challenge is daunting enough, let alone making a lifestyle change in the process myself. But I am determined to do this.

Monthly I visit the chiropractor and then get a 30 min massage to deal with tension in my neck and shoulders from the many hours I spend sitting in front of a computer. Well yesterday was one of those appointments. Normally during the massage, the therapist and I chat about all sorts of stuff going on in our lives (I've been seeing the same guy for some time now). But yesterday was different, I was allowed an extra 15 minutes massage time and I found as I lay face down on the table, I was silent. I was just in the moment while he worked the muscles on my back, shoulders and arms. I was fully aware of each pinch and knot he worked on. The soothing release as he made long pressured strokes down my back. 

Yesterday going into my appointment, I didn't realize I needed a time out, but once it started I realized I needed every minute of it, and was more than grateful for the extended time. I haven't really fallen, but I'm still struggling when the choices in front of me force me to choose between what is good for me and what looks yummy to eat. I'm still running full speed with a full plate, I'm fine, but I needed that time out. To take deep breaths, the think clearly, to revive my spirit and rest.

So don't allow yourself to spiral out of control, take a timeout, it doesn't have to be anything extreme, but step away from all the crazy, breath, allow your head to clear and rest. Do it with a trusted friend or do it alone, it makes not difference, but do it. Take a walk without your phone, lay quietly on your bed for 20 minutes, spend time with your thoughts, read words of encouragement, find just a little time when you can hear your own thoughts. Evaluate the self talk you are having when you face food or stresses, are you talking yourself out of it a bad situation, or into it. You have to be you own advocate not your own destructor.

Take your time out, then Rise.




No comments:

Post a Comment