Wednesday, February 10, 2016

No Guilt Stroganoff

Well I headed for the church to meet with my group tonight, to have everyone calling out, struggling with continued sickness and physical pains. There have been trips to the hospital, lots of meds and missed work. 

The virus that is pounding our area, seems to have a stronghold on everyone who it comes in contact with it. Virtually everyone I know, including myself, has had it in one form or another and it hangs on for weeks. 

Sickness is one of those things that make it real easy to throw positive choices out the window, but that doesn't have to be the case. Stock up on chicken broth and green tea to drink and keep yourself hydrated to help your body do its job of healing and fighting off the bugs that bring us down. Eat small healthy meals and don't over tax yourself while your body fights. God created us with amazing bodies that have the capacity to rid itself from germs that invade us as we interact with the world. We all have times when you are faced with illness that leave us ragged and miserable, we have to take the best care of ourselves as possible and seek medical assistance if it requires. Eating healthy is a sure way to support bodies in times of compromised health. 

Tonight as I fight my own bug, I wanted something in realm of comfort food and as I did some quick snooping around Pinterest I spotted stroganoff and a light went on as to what I wanted to do.  Here is a look at what we ended up with.

No Guilt Stroganoff

1 lb ground beef
1/2 head cabbage thin sliced
3/4 c. sliced Mushrooms
1/2 Med Onion
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
1/2 and 1/2 or milk
Salt & Pepper
No salt seasoning



In a large skillet brown ground beef, mushrooms, onion and season to taste.  Cook until meat and mushrooms have taken on good color (well browned mushrooms are the best!). Add cabbage and toss until wilted. Stir in cream cheese and feta, thinning with 1/2 &1/2 to desired creaminess, I used around a 1/2 cup. 

Traditionally this would have had parmesan cheese, but the  container I thought was in the frig was gone and the feta is what I had on hand. So if you have parm feel free to use it in place off the feta.

Because this dish doesn't have any pasta in it, there is nothing to suck up your sauce, so it will stay nice and creamy after it's been pulled from the stove top. 

Pair this with a crisp salad, or curl up with just a bowl and enjoy.

So I wish health for you during this cold and flu season, as well as speedy recoveries if have been stricken with the bugs that are going around.

No comments:

Post a Comment