Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tuna and "Rice" Casserole

I know I haven't been around much this last week, sadly enough, our entire group has been plagued with a nasty virus that seems to be circulating in our area. Lots of tissues and cough drops have been within arms length, but I think I'm beginning to see the last of it finally, at least I hope so.

Needless to say, when I find myself under the weather I begin yearning for old favorites that scream with familiarity and comfort. Today was one of those days and I was thinking that it had been ages since I had a batch of Tuna casserole, and it sounded like just the thing.

My traditional casserole used a standard white sauce and a big batch of starchy rice. Both of which have become off limits under the new guidelines that I need to follow in order to correct my health issues. So with the challenge in front of me, I tackled the task of modifying the traditional recipe and came up with an alternative that was good enough my husband was back at the pot snatching a second round.  

Tonight's modified casserole turned out to be just as yummy as any of my old recipes and will be used again in the future. So if you are looking for something that will take you back to dinner in mom or grandma's kitchen this is the ticket.

Tuna and "Rice" Casserole
2 ribs Celery - chopped
1 sm Onion - sm dice
Olive Oil
1/2 head Cauliflower - riced in the food processor
1 c. Frozen Peas
2 cans Tuna, drained and flaked
1/2 - 3/4 c. Heavy Cream
4 oz Cream Cheese
2 c. Colby JackCheese - grated
salt & pepper

In my dutch oven I sweat celery and onion in a little olive oil, when they started to soften I added the cauliflower rice and tossed. Salt & pepper to taste. When the cauliflower begins to turn translucent add tuna and pea and toss to warm. When the pea become bright green add cream, cheese and cream cheese, stirring as the cheese melts together and the sauce thickens. (You may need to adjust the amount of cream you use to get the consistency of sauce you want) 

For me, I love dill in my casserole, so I used a natural dill dip herb blend I keep around, but season with whatever suits you. Pepper flakes, a lemon pepper blend (salt free), experiment with your favorite flavors. You also can top it off with something like a extra layer of cheese and then toss in under the broiler for a minute to brown in up, and if you grew up with crackers or potato chips on top of your casserole, try crushed up pork rinds to give you that crunchy texture without the carbs. We just went for it right off the stove.

This is what was leftover after we had our fill, just enough for lunch tomorrow.

Here's to comfort food, memories and healthy choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment