Friday, June 20, 2014

Hamburger Stew with Cheesy Grits

Finding myself feeling very grateful to have this week behind me and a couple of days ahead to enjoy. Had a couple of late nights working, nights of errand running and finally a night to kick back and catch up on some our recordings on the DVR. 

With a week of random eating I was ready to make something homemade and on the comfort food side of things. 
As I flipped through the cupboards I came across a partial box of grits and that set me to  thinking. Grabbed a pound of hamburger from the freezer and went to work. 

Hamburger Stew
1 lb Ground Beef
1/2 Yellow onion, minced
1 can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chili's
Chili powder
Cumin
Tumeric
Salt & Pepper

In a large skillet brown ground beef, onion and seasonings to taste and cook stirring regularly until onions are cooked through. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.

 

While stew simmers make a batch of grits according to the packaging, adding 1-2 cups grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar) after grits begin to thicken.

Ladle a good scoop of grits into your favorite bowl and spoon stew over the top, and add a dollop of sour cream. For me I enjoy stirring it all together as I eat the rich cheesy goodness. 


I know I've become the queen of one bowl suppers that are hardy and filling.  We raised four kids on a tight budget and simple meals with just a few ingredients and only take a short time to prepare are at the heart of my cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment