Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Grilled Chicken & Fried "Rice"

After several months of crazy I'm trying to get my meals and eating habits back in line with the Keto (Low carb, no grain, no starch, no sugar) way of eating and start feeling better. It seams like the more my schedule overloads, the worse I feel and less likely I will follow any kind of proper eating habits.

Part of me returning to you here online started with a book I downloaded to my Kindle on organizing your home and life. I had found a blurb with a section on organizing my kitchen, which I'm always up for a better way of doing things, so I downloaded the entire book.  The book started with it's first chapter on organizing your priorities, which for me the top of the list included getting back to cooking proper meals and spending time here sharing it with you.

With this refocus on different parts of my life, I've decided that my blog will be about sharing what doing, what I'm cooking and not bog myself down with finding what to eat in advance of the week, that way of planning has proven to not fit my life. 

This week started with a trip to the grocery store Saturday night for the basics we needed for the week. Sunday we hit our favorite small market that has organic meat we needed for this weeks egg cups and while there we spotted a good buy on bone in chicken thighs. From there we wandered across the street to the farmers market and picked up some yummy beef brisket for lunch an some plants for my garden beds.

Monday at work I ran in snag after snag with payroll, I found myself stuck at the office until 6pm and then with an hour train ride home it was too late to thinking about cooking, so dinner ended up being a 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a slice of cheddar while I worked on a project on the couch and watch a bit of television. So I decided this morning I would make sure to be out of the office on time and have time to fix something worth while.

With the mindset of cooking a good dinner I took those chicken thighs I bought on Saturday I tossed them in a ziplock with home made barbecue sauce I had on hand and tossed them back in the frig before headed off  to work.

So here's the recipe for my home made barbecue sauce for a website I frequent.
Carolina BBQ Sauce: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/carolina-bbq-sauce-and-agave-facts/  This mustard based sauce and is far from a traditional bbq sauce, but I've grown to love this sauce and I don't take the sugar hit that comes with traditional or store bought sauces.

Once I arrived home today cranked up my stove top grill pan, oiled it good and place the chicken skin side down on the hot grill pan and started in on an experiment with cauliflower. Once the chicken had a good carmelization on it, turn it over an let it finish cooking, I placed a lid over the top that doesn't fit tight, you don't want it to steam the chicken, but you want to hold in some of the heat so it cooks clear though without drying out.




For a sidedish to go with the chicken I spent some time nosing around on Pinterest I found a recipe for a cauliflower couscous which set off an experiment that turned out to be something pretty yummy.

I decided to take the idea of the couscous (http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-couscous-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-203344?crlt.pid=camp.7yazCHPemZsL#recipe) and try the idea of making it into a fried "rice". So following the recipe to prepare the cauliflower, I chopped up half a yellow onion and sauteed it half a stick of butter until softened. I added the cauliflower to the pan and continued to stir and allowed it to start to brown in the pan. I did need to add the remaining 1/2 a stick of butter as it continued to brown. I thinly sliced a couple of green onions and chopped up some celantro I tossed with the brown "rice". At this point remove from the heat and season with gluten free Tamiri sauce to taste and serve.




So this is my restart, I loved being back in the kitchen doing something fun tonight, and now I need  to go pull something from the freezer for tomorrow and get back to one of my other projects. 
One thing that has not changed is my attitude - Never stop playing with your food!

No comments:

Post a Comment