Saturday, December 28, 2013

Confetti Salad

This past year has been a doozy for us, we started off with four funerals between April and June, right into a joyous time with my oldest son's wedding, a camp out, emergency bypass surgery for my Dad,  an arrest and court appearances (a family member), another funeral (my step father), and several rounds of sickness. It has seemed to be just one thing after another and I can say I'm ready to see this year come to an end and looking forward to the year to come. Praying that the coming year is a bit more settled than this past one.

I'm not one to set my self up for failure with resolutions each year, and this year is no different, but I stumble across a new book that I have taken to heart the more I've read. I had started the process of removing gluten and other grains from my diet earlier this year, but this book (and her website, listed below) had given me a deeper look into why eating this way, with even more changes, is beneficial to my health, diabetes and my weight. I've been following the plan for the past three days and my blood sugars are in normal ranges and down several pounds. So you will be seeing lots recipes that are acceptable under the guidelines of this new style of eating.

I mentioned earlier that we had the privilege of participating in my son's wedding this summer, and I provided the meal for the rehearsal, which since this was going to be an outdoor wedding, we went with a picnic on the lawn after the wrapping up the rehearsal. So today I'm sharing one of the salads we provided for that meal which with minimal changes event fits my current food plan. I've had requests for this recipe since then and I'm now getting around to posting it here so it can be shared and enjoyed by others.

Confetti Salad
1/2 lb Bacon, cooked off  & crumbled
1 Head Cauliflower
2 Bunches Broccoli
2 Carrots - small dice or grated
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1/2 Red Onion
1 C. Cheese - Grated
1 C Slivered Almonds - toasted

Chop cauliflower and broccoli into bit sized pieces, mince onion. Toss vegetables in large mixing bowl, add almonds,cheese and bacon, toss with dressing (listed below) and chill before serving.

This is a recipe that you can modify to you own taste by omitting or adding anything you want. I've left out the cheese for my non-dairy people, or the bacon for the vegetarians, or certain veg for my picky eaters. I've been known to add any stray veg that I might have in the frig, cooked asparagus, love sliced up radishes, jicama, shredded cabbage,  pretty much what ever I was in the mood for including cubed up leftover chicken made a great dinner salad on a hot evening.

Dressing
1 C Mayonnaise
1/3 C. Rice Wine Vinegar
1/4 C. Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Place all ingredients into a sealed container (I use a mason jar) and shake. Taste and adjust sugar and salt & pepper to taste. I have also substituted Stevia for the sugar and it works just fine.

With the changes in my diet this is now my salad dressing of choice, check out Maria's Super Salad Dressing. If you snoop around here site you will see what changes I have been making.
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/super-salad-dressing-and-mct-oils/

  



Tonight's salad modifiers included a cheater bag of Broccoli Slaw that has pea pods and other veg in it that I added chopped cauliflower, cheese, bacon & nuts, and tossed with Maria's dressing and it was just a yummy as the batch made last summer!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Coral -
    I have also been reading Maria's books! Small world! I'd love to hear about other recipes that you try.I've tried a few of the sweet ones, but haven't scored a hit yet.
    -- Carrie

    ReplyDelete