Saturday, January 23, 2016

Week Two - My Goals - Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

Week two was a week of challenges, visiting out of town family, pain and sickness, but we got through it. Only a few pounds lost between us, yet we found that we were more aware of the choices we made, good or bad. We are recognizing when we are making that extra effort to slow down long enough to evaluate our choices before we make them. 

We all accept that fact that we are just getting started in making what should be a life long attitude about our food. We talked about getting back on task with this week and talked about making sure we get to the grocery store and buy the supplies we need to be successful this week.

When we decided to start this group, our goals include loosing weight for a son's wedding, slimming down for a cruise and just getting back into clothes we no longer get into.  I knew part of my goal was to get back into all great clothes that had to be pushed to the back of the closet, but I also knew I wanted to reduce the amount of diabetic medication I have been needing to take. Just the last fall I was forced to take it up a notch and add another med to the one I was already taking. With a diabetic mom and brother, I've seen them both progress through all the levels of medications to the point of full insulin dependence, and that in not a road I want to choose for myself. 

Well, I said at the beginning, that this past week was complicated with pain and sickness. I was dealing with pain in my upper right abdomen, and was expecting to get a diagnosis of gallstones and possibly needed surgery to have my gallbladder removed. One of the others in the group was also have a similar pain, but had her gallbladder removed years ago so she had no idea as what her pain was. With her trip to the doctor established she is dealing with a pinched nerve that is sending pain in the nerve channel that travels around to that region, and they also told her that she has a Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver. Well my diagnosis was yet to determined. 

Thursday I went in for an ultrasound to learn my fate, and of course, they would not tell me anything, just that it will be three to four days before I get my results from my doctor. After a sent off email to my doctor I got lucky to get a response the next morning that I too had Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver.  

In my usual fashion, I started looking at what we need to be doing to support our team member with this condition, and now with my own diagnosis, I found myself diving in even deeper as to what we need to be doing to treat this disease, and to my amazement, the most effective treatment for this is what we had already set out to do two weeks earlier, which is low carb. 

So with this new condition compounding my already compromised health, my goal is now even more intense when it comes to improving my health which will include weight loss in the process.

As I've spent the last day and a half learning more about this disease, and I know we are on the right path to better health. This condition is common if you have one or more of the following health issues: diabetes, high blood pressure, over weight, vitamin D deficiency, high cholesterol and a long list of other common conditions that we hear about every day.

If you have any of the listed conditions, please take it seriously and make positive choices to improve your health. We only have one life, one body and we are the only ones who are responsible for how we will take care of them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment