Sunday, January 24, 2016

Breakfast Scramble

Breakfast for me can be pretty unorthodoxed, but pretty darn tasty. Today was one of those days with a mix of leftovers, some extra vegetables, eggs and cheese.  So here's a peek at my crazy breakfast.

It started with dinner two nights ago when I needed something simple and quick for dinner that we fill the gut, and not derail what I've set out to do when it comes to my health. So what I had at my fingertips in frig included a pound of hamburger, half a head of cabbage and a medium onion. So I browned the hamburger, shredded the cabbage and onion on the mandoline and tossed it in with the hamburger until it was wilted and starting to brown just a little bit. I seasoned it all with salt, pepper and my favorite no-salt seasoning we found at Costco as it cooked and served it up in bowls in front of one of our favorite shows. Leftover tossed in the frig.

So this morning, as I scanned the frig for what to eat for breakfast, I spotted the container of cabbage and hamburger, a bag of chopped kale, a tub of sliced mushrooms and of course eggs and cheese.  ( And yes those are all items that you can find regularly in my refrigerator.)

Starting with the mushrooms, I browned a couple of handfuls with a nonstick fry pan, coated with cooking spray and a touch of olive oil. Once the mushrooms were golden brown and yummy, I tossed in the leftover hamburger and cabbage, stirring until it was heated thought. Adding a good handful of the chopped kale and tossed for another minute. Added five scrambled eggs and stirred until they were cooked though. 


  
We had enough for 3-4 servings and topped each serving off with grated cheese.  It sounds a little crazy and it's a healthy serving of vegetable with your protein, but it was good to the last bite.

This kind of scramble can be achieved with pretty much any combination of veggies that you have on hand, and you don't need to have leftovers either. You can use any kind of meat that you have handy too, its kind of a free range cooking with the ingredient you have on hand that hopefully support the lifestyle choices you are trying to make.

Time to head for the kitchen and go wild!
Coral

No comments:

Post a Comment