Sunday, January 26, 2014

New tools in the kitchen

With the decision to weekly make egg cups for my husband, we found the not so nice issue that came with that task, and that has been eggs that aggressively stick to my standard muffin tins. So we took the next step in the challenge and tried paper liners and the stubborn egg have stuck to those too. But this week has been a triumph in the challenge with sticking eggs. 
As a result I began the tasks of researching different silicone products on the market, which my first thought was a product called Flexipan (which I already own several pieces), which is made by the people who make the Silpats, but they come with a healthy price tag (some over $100). This past week I had a chance to speak with our pastry chef at work regarding this issue and asked her if she had a source of the Flexipans that might not be as expensive as my retail sources, which triggered a discussion regarding other products on the market. After a looking at several product options she headed to the kitchen and came back with one of her personal pans which turned out to be a cheap (around $10-$20) home silicone jumbo muffin tray and told me to give it a try and see what I thought. 
With my test pan in hand I headed for the kitchen today to find myself over joyed with the results, after letting the muffins cool for ten minutes I flipped the pan over onto a rack and they fell out of the pan effortlessly, and with a quick wipe with a soapy dish cloth the pan was clean again. So needless to say, I've been on Amazon.com and have ordered a couple of pans in different sizes that will be here before the week is out and I will be making egg cups that are stress free! my solution has been found.


Just out of the oven

The flip after 10 minutes cool time
The freshly washed pan
Packing up for storage in the frig for the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment