Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Chicken Egg Drop Soup

I decided that tonight was going to be soup night, why wait when it sounded so good this morning. After getting off the train I beat feet for the Albertson's store that is on my way home. Got lucky to find that they had their organic brands on sale so I took advantage, grabbed the ingredients I knew I didn't have at home and for just over $10, plus the ingredients I already had on hand, I have enough soup for a couple of meals.



 With all the ingredient in the picture and armed with the recipe I posted earlier (http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2013/01/egg-drop-soup.htmlI produced a light brothy soup with enough meat and veg to easily hold us until morning without the need for a bunch of snacking before bed. The one thing I think I would do differently is not waste my time fussing with the brussels sprouts, and just finely shred some cabbage, the flavor would be basically the same, and allot less work.I also thought about adding some frozen peas, but I will save that for another time.

If you need it to be completely gluten free switch out the soy sauce for Tamari sauce and you would be good to go. The corn is a starch, but with only a half cup in the whole pot and plenty of protein in the soup, I figured I would be pretty safe to not set off a sugar spike for me.



I have a husband that has had a mental block since childhood when it comes to chicken soup, they raised chicken on their small farm and they ate allot of chicken, and amazingly enough he even said he liked it. I guess this will be a combination to record and reproduce again next time I'm in need of some chicken soup, even when I'm not sick. 

So with two bowls consumed, I'm ready for a little kitchen clean up and then to find a soft spot on the couch.  Tomorrow morning I will rise at 4:50am to tackle my third day of early morning walks with the dogs, wish me luck!

 And don't worry, I doubt I will be making a habit of multiple posts each day, but right now I'm excited to have this new project and I'm always excited when it comes to playing with food in the kitchen.

Have a good evening and happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment