Friday, July 18, 2014

Creamy Tomato Beef Stroganoff

Around 15 years ago I did a stent as a bookkeeper for the Old Spaghetti Factory corporate offices. I did the books for five of the locations here in the Northwest. I had the three Oregon locations and two in Washington which allowed me a closer contact with my location general managers and the opportunity to visit the locations regularly than the other staff bookkeepers in the office. Needless to say I also had the opportunity to eat plenty of the food as well. My office was upstairs from the main restaurant on the river in downtown Portland and in the many visit to the main dinning room I got hooked on one of their dishes that is still a favorite on the menu even today. 

My downfall was their Factory Favorites Chicken Fettuccine, but it was always with a twist. I would order the Chicken Fet with half alfredo sauce and half their chunky tomato marinara. When it arrived at the table I would mix the two sauces together into a rich creamy sauce the coated the pasta with a rich silkiness that I still love, but the carbs in the pasta and the flour in the sauce doesn't love me.

So with my love for this combination, I got to thinking about how I would create a sauce that was just as enjoyable but healthier and in the guidelines of my eating plan that I try to follow, and this what I came up with. 

Creamy Tomato Beef Stroganoff
1 lb ground beef
1 32oz jar of sugar free marinara sauce
1 8oz package full fat cream cheese
1/2 Large head of cabbage, thin sliced into ribbons
1 lg onion, thin sliced
salt & Pepper
Grated Parmesan Cheese for garnishment

Brown ground beef in large skillet or roasting pan. In a separate pan sweat the cabbage and onions in olive oil, with a good pinch of salt and pepper until translucent. 

Once meat is browned add cream cheese and stir around until softened and starting to coat the meat, add jar of sauce and continue to stir until heated through and cream cheese in incorporated into the thickened sauce. Pour over cabbage mix and toss. Serve up with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and enjoy.

 

 

1 comment: