Monday, October 14, 2013

Who needs take out

This week I've dug though my old recipe box that has recipes from my childhood, collected from my mom, grandmothers and aunts.  As I flip through the yellowed and stained cards I remembered many wonderful times gathering in the kitchen, making a wonderful meals that would be shared together. A regular was sweet and sour meatballs, so with that in mind I found the recipe for the meatballs and as I started thinking about the sauce I remember that mom would use a canned sweet and sour sauce she found in the Asian section of the grocery store.  So I did some hunting around in my other cookbooks and found an orange sauce that would fit the bill, so here it goes.

Turkey Meatballs
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. dried bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

Combine thoroughly all ingredients. Using a teaspoon (I used a small scoop), roll into small balls. Either brown in a fry pan or place them on a baking tray and place in a 350 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes, check for done-ness. Yield is 36 to 40 balls, freeze or use right away.
These meatballs are a staple that can be cooked off in batches and used as needed. You can add to anything from spaghetti sauce, or in my case, orange sauce and served over rice.

Orange Sauce
2 c. Orange juice
1 Tbsp Corn starch
1 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp Orange zest
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp butter

In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook orange juice uncovered until reduced to 1 cup.
Mix cornstarch and water in small bowl until dissolved, and pour entire mixture in to pan. Add sugar and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and stir in zest, lemon juice and butter.

As usual I twisted things to work with what I had on hand, so I added a can of crushed pineapple to fill out the needed liquid, and added the supremes from the orange I grated the zest from, and omitted the sugar with the sweetness of the pineapple.

So with my meatballs cooked, I sauteed a chopped bell pepper and onion, and once it was softened I added meatballs to the pan and ladled the sauce over the top and served over rice.


  



No comments:

Post a Comment